Monday 9 September 2013

Thulani Serero: the other side of Bafanagate: "I would never turn my back on my country"

Thulani Serero, right, with his agent Mike Ntombela,
the former Mamelodi Sundowns star

HERE IS THE FULL TEXT OF THULANI SERERO’S RESPONSE TO BEING SENT HOME BY SOUTH AFRICA BEFORE BAFANA’S WORLD CUP QUALIFIER AGAINST BOTSWANA ON SATURDAY:

"I will never turn my back on my country. I’m what I am today because of the continued support I get from various people in South Africa.

"I would not have travelled to Durban from Holland if I did not want to play. The truth of the matter is that I started feeling an excruciating pain after Wednesday’s training.

“Later in the evening, I went to coach Gordon to explain to him that I suspected my niggling groin problem was coming back. It was the same pain I felt when I was out of action for several months last year.

"I love South Africa and will always be available to play for Bafana Bafana. I also do not choose games.

"I will never do such a thing. I have played for Bafana in the past ahead of Champions League games. The other thing is: I’m not the coach, so there is no guarantee I will play."




The question neither Ntombela nor Serero address in this prepared statement is: Will Thulani return home to tell Ajax he felt "excruciating pain" while training in Durban, thus risking his place against Barcelona on September 18? 


I have asked former Mamelodi Sundowns star Mike Ntombela if he or Thulani Serero will appear on BOLLOCKZ! my show on www.ballz.co.za this week, it airs every Thursday from 10am-noon. 


You can also follow me on www.twitter.com/nealcol for all the latest sports news… and read my “Neal & Pray” column every Tuesday inwww.thenewage.co.za

BOLLOCKZ! is backed by www.topodds.com - have a look at their site for my latest sports betting advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment